How Does LASIK Surgery Work?
Vision issues, such as nearsightedness (myopia), farsightedness (hyperopia), and astigmatism occur when the shape of the eye prevents light from focusing correctly. LASIK is designed to repair these refractive errors by reshaping the cornea using advanced laser technology. LASIK at Virginia Eye Consultants starts with a free consultation appointment at which you’ll learn if LASIK is right for you and have the opportunity to learn more about the details of the procedure. The day of the LASIK procedure, anesthetic drops will be administered to numb the eyes and you may be offered a sedative to ensure your comfort.
In general, there are two surgical steps in the LASIK procedure:
- Making a Corneal Flap. First, the doctor will use a painless, cool laser to create a flap on the cornea, which is the front surface of the eye. This corneal flap is then folded back to reveal the underlying corneal tissue.
- Reshaping the Cornea. An excimer laser is used to reshape the cornea in order to correct vision. The self-sealing flap is put back into place without any sutures needed and will typically heal easily on its own
Blade-Free, All-Laser LASIK Technology
Our LASIK practice is committed to providing the most effective and precise vision correction possible, which is why we offer all-laser, blade-free LASIK. Modern LASIK technology is able to correct a larger range of vision than was previously possible. Furthermore, LASIK technology makes it possible to eliminate the use of the less-predictable mechanical microkeratome and surgical blades to create the corneal flap.
What to Expect – LASIK Results and Recovery
Whether you are choosing LASIK for convenience, for cosmetic reasons, or to enhance an active lifestyle, our vision specialists are committed to providing you with advanced options tailored to your needs. Studies show over 98% of patients are satisfied with their LASIK results 3. Most patients can expect improved vision on the very day of their LASIK surgery.
Recovery from LASIK surgery is typically very quick. Patients can usually resume regular activities the day after their procedure. There are a few activities, such as swimming and contact sports, that your doctor will advise you to avoid for up to three weeks.
How Much Does LASIK Cost?
Your eyes are unique and your vision is priceless. At Virginia Eye Consultants, we customize our blade-free, all-laser LASIK procedures to meet your vision needs. We offer free LASIK consultations so you can learn if laser vision correction is right for you. The average cost of bilateral LASIK in the United States is approximately $4,2004. We recommend you spend time researching what is included in the price, as well as ensure that any LASIK provider you consider is experienced, well-reviewed, and uses up-to-date technology. We offer a variety of financing options to help patients fit LASIK into their budgets.
Real Patient Reviews
I had a fantastic experience with Virginia Eye Consultants and Dr. Scoper. I had Lasik yesterday, and am already seeing great. They take fantastic care of their patients, from start to finish. And Lisa bakes the most amazing cupcakes for you after your surgery! So glad my cousin (who is also an eye surgeon – but in another state) recommended Dr. Scoper and Virginia Eye Consultants.
– Ashley C.
I got Lasik done yesterday by Dr Scoper. The staff was great answered all my questions. I was very anxious about getting it done and the doctor and the staff helped calm me down. I can see perfect now. I’m so glad I went here.
– Elizabeth O.
20/20 already! Anyone interested in LASIK I recommend Dr. Scooper!! The staff here is awesome and friendly! Highly recommend to anyone!
– Johnny S.
Had the surgery yesterday with Dr. Scoper and I woke up today with 20/20 vision! The staff, as well as the docNathan Harristor were all very polite and helpful when I had any questions. I am very pleased with my experience with Virginia Eye Consultants! Thanks for changing my life!
– Nathan H.
Why Choose Virginia Eye Consultants for Your Laser Vision Correction?
- Experience Our practice has cared for vision and eye health in Hampton Roads for over 55 years. Our LASIK surgeons are highly experienced and fellowship trained in cornea and refractive surgery.
- Technology We pride ourselves in offering the most advanced vision care options, including all-laser, blade-free LASIK. Learn about our LASIK technology.
- Personalized Care We ensure each patient at Virginia Eye Consultants receives compassionate care, a customized treatment plan, and the knowledge they need to make choices for their eye health.
- Real Patient Results Read our patient testimonials to hear from real Virginia Eye Consultants patients who are enjoying life with LASIK.
Am I A Candidate for LASIK?
If you would like to be less dependent on glasses or contacts, then LASIK could be right for you. We each have unique eyes, and a thorough exam by an experienced eye surgeon is necessary to determine if you are a candidate for LASIK. If you are not a candidate for LASIK, we also offer several LASIK alternatives. In general, LASIK candidates are:
- Over 18 years old
- Generally healthy with normal corneas
- Have maintained a stable vision prescription for at least two years
Contact us in Virginia Beach, Hampton, Norfolk, or Suffolk, Virginia
We’re honored to have helped thousands of people achieve better vision. Schedule your free LASIK consultation with one of our vision correction experts with our easy and convenient online booking. Appointments are available to fit your schedule at our offices in Norfolk, Suffolk, Virginia Beach, or Hampton, VA.
2 Comparison of the femtosecond laser and mechanical microkeratome for flap cutting in LASIK,International Journal of Ophthalmology.2015; 8(4):784–790.
3 Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery 2016 Aug;42(8):1224-34. doi: 10.1016/j.jcrs.2016.07.012