Visian ICL (Implantable Collamer Lens)
The Visian ICL™ is another type of Phakic Intraocular Lens which is manufactured from a soft foldable polymeric material called Collamer. The cornea is actually comprised of collagen and sothis material provides excellent biocompatibility and superior optical capability. It is readily implanted in your eye behind the iris, or colored part of the eye, by gently folding it and injecting into the anterior chamber through a tiny incision only 3.0mm in length placed by the eye surgeon at the clear edge of the cornea.
Advantages of the Visian ICL
- Quality of Vision - The Visian ICL produces not only improved visual acuity (20/20 vision is considered normal visual acuity), but also excellent visual quality. Many patients experience the “wow” factor when they experience the immediate improvement in the quality of their vision.
- Biocompatibility - Collamer, the 100% pure collagen copolymer lens material of the Visian ICL, is not viewed as a foreign object by the body’s immune system.
- Versatility - The Visian ICL offers a wider treatment range for myopia than LASIK and PRK procedures.
- Simplicity - Unlike traditional contact lenses, once the Visian ICL is implanted in the eye, there is no additional maintenance needed.
- Safety - After implantation in over 55,000 eyes worldwide, the Visian ICL has established a proven track record of safety.
- Lens Placement - The placement of the Visian ICL makes the lens invisible to the patient and any observer.
- Removable - The Visian ICL was designed to be permanently placed in the eye. However, the lens can be removed if a patient’s vision changes or if it otherwise needs to be removed or replaced.For more information on the Visian ICL™, click here.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Visian ICL
The Visian ICL (Implantable Collamer Lens) has been gaining recognition as a phakic intraocular lens that produces exceptional quality of vision. It is revolutionizing the refractive correction industry. Below are some of the frequently asked questions about STAAR Surgical Company’s implantable Collamer lens.
Q: Am I a candidate for the Visian ICL?
A. The implantable Collamer lens works best for patients who suffer from moderate to severe myopia, but have not had other ophthalmic surgeries. Those between the ages of 21 and 45 without a history of ophthalmic diseases such as glaucoma, iritis, or diabetic retinopathy make the best candidates for the Visian ICL.
Q. What are the advantages of the Visian ICL?
A. The Visian ICL can correct a wide range of myopia without removing or destroying the cornea’s delicate tissue. During this surgical eye correction procedure, the doctor makes a tiny incision about 3 mm long. This incision will not require sutures. It is just large enough to insert the Visian ICL, a small, foldable, injectable lens. The lens is made of an advanced biocompatible material called Collamer. Because the Visian ICL is placed inside the eye, refractive outcomes and optical performance are consistent. The result is excellent quality of vision.
Q. What if a patient’s vision changes?
A. The Visian ICL may be removed or replaced if eyesight changes. Another surgical eye correction can be done to correct the discrepancy. Eyeglasses and contact lenses may also be worn if correction becomes necessary. The phakic IOL cannot be used to treat presbyopia, the need for reading glasses due to age.
Q. Can the lenses dry out or get dirty like a contact lens?
A. No. The Visian ICL is designed to be a maintenance-free eye correction treatment. We recommend you continue to have annual ophthalmology exams to ensure that your eyes stay healthy.
Q. Can the Visian ICL be seen by the naked eye?
A. No. Your vision correction lens will be completely invisible to you and all observers. The Visian ICL is hidden behind the iris, resulting in a perfect cosmetic appearance. Only medical professionals will be able to determine that there is a lens in place.
Q. What is the Visian ICL made of?
A. The Visian ICL uses a collagen co-polymer material called Collamer, which is proprietary to STAAR Surgical Company. It contains a small amount of purified collagen and is very stable and biocompatible, which means it will not cause a reaction in your eye. Additionally, it contains an ultraviolet light filter.
Q. How long will the Visian ICL stay in the eye?
A. The Visian ICL is intended to remain in place without maintenance. If for any reason removal of the lens becomes necessary, it can be easily taken out by a trained ophthalmic surgeon.
Q. Can the Visian ICL be felt once it is in place?
A. Because the Visian ICL does not attach to any eye structures or move around in the eye, most patients do not feel it or notice that it is there.
Want more information about Visian ICL? Schedule your consultation or call 1(800)321-EYES to learn more from our friendly, knowledgeable staff.